Saturday 14 September 2013

There are no new stories (just ways to tell them)

This sobering message is one of the first things I learned when I attended my first fiction writing workshop, way back when. Pen in hand, bristling to unleash tales of earth-shattering originality, I was informed by my tutor that, actually, there are no new stories. It’s all done before, loads of times, and  the only new thing a creative brings to the story is their unique point of view.

Every day I am grateful for receiving this insight early on. It saved me from wasting years at the keyboard trying to be different, or original or clever. It also made me look at stories, in whatever from they take, in a different way. 

Which is a rather long winded way of saying this blog is all about different ways of telling stories. It is where I explore different forms of storytelling, what works, what doesn’t --and why. I am not interested in writing reviews or focusing on only books or film or art. My interest lays in how the story is told.

No comments:

Post a Comment